Maggie D. Mooney's practice focuses on governmental law, special taxing districts, land use, administrative law, and litigation. For over 10 years, she has represented municipalities, dependent and independent special districts, and a deep water port authority on various legal issues relating to land use, environmental law, contractual claims, public finance, public procurement, public private partnerships, taxing and special assessments, home rule authority, annexations, public records laws, Sunshine laws, and ethics laws. She has litigated matters on behalf of her local governments in state, federal and administrative courts, including the Florida Second District Court of Appeal and Florida Supreme Court. Maggie currently serves as the Town Attorney for the Town of Longboat Key. She also serves as general and special counsel to a number of independent special fire control districts and community development districts.
Maggie is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in City, County and Local Government Law and is “AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has been selected as one of Florida Rising Stars in the area of Government/Cities/Municipalities by Super Lawyers Magazine for the years 2011-2015. Ms. Mooney-Portale was named one of Biz941 Magazine's “Top 25 People to Watch" in 2009. She is currently a member of the Florida Bar's Executive Council for the City, County and Local Government Law Section. She has also served on the boards of Manasota Legal Aid, Manatee Young Lawyers Division, and the Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division. Ms. Mooney-Portale enjoys spending time with her husband and 2 young daughters and participating in half-marathons when time permits.
- Florida State University, B.S., Communication, 1997
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 2001 - Certificate in Environmental and Land Use Law
Bar and Court Admissions
- Florida Bar, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Manatee County Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Florida Bar’s Executive Council for the City, County and Local Government Law Section
- The Florida Bar’s Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors
- Leadership Manatee Graduate